Sunday, October 5, 2008

You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks



I am 47 years old and I am learning character every day. Let me give you an example:

My daily character pop quiz happens behind the steering wheel of my car. First, I must explain that one of my biggest weaknesses is the lack of patience. This fault causes me trouble when I get behind a slow driver in the left lane.

Some drivers just seem oblivious to their environment. "Can't you see the cars passing you on the right?", yet they just keep on smelling the roses not even aware there is a rear-view mirror in the car.

When I finally have the opportunity to pass this person many times I have the option of signaling them, a non-verbal communication, if you get my drift. Let me share what keeps me from doing what I seriously want to do.

It is the overwhelming fear that this person will be seated in the front row of my next "character" session. I ask you, would you hear one word of my presentation if you had seen me gesture (no need to get specific, just know the gesture is one of disgust) earlier that day? No, you could not hear what I was saying over the loud roar of what I DID.

There is a saying "Your Walk Talks and Your Talk Talks, but Your Walk talks Louder than Your Talk Talks." How true that statement is.

So, thinking about what I do for a living, matching my actions with my words, and trying to raise three kids (now in their 20"s and late teens), and avoiding hypocrisy, especially for my presentations, makes me change my behavioral direction.

I plan to share more about the walk matching the talk next time.

No comments: