Friday, October 24, 2008

No Encouragement = Discouragement


I would like to share a specific example of the destructive force of discouragement.

But first, I think it is critical that we understand something very foundational. You may not think you are critical or discouraging but I am here to tell you, if you are NOT encouraging in your leadership role then you ARE automatically discouraging.

Back to my example: Here is a typical thought when an employee thinks about doing something wrong (work place related).

Many workers' compensation claims are fraudulent. Statistics verify up to 92%! So what does an employee think while perpetrating just such a fraudulent act?

"I have been working here for three years and they just don't appreciate me."

"I go far above the call of duty in my work and I never get a pat on the back or even a thank you."

"I do everything I'm told, come to work on time, fulfill my obligations, I'm honest, and I have a good attitude. Come to work late one time and my manager lays into me like a drill sergeant."

"I work hard, I make my supervisor look good, and I am not a problem employee. Why don't they give me a pay raise?"

To the leaders reading this blog, your lack of encouragement is the seed that festers in the minds of your people and this seed can manifest itself into wrong actions.

Please learn to be an encourager!!

No comments: