Friday, August 15, 2008

What the World Revolves Around!

There is something in this world that we cannot escape, it causes the greatest amount of pressure. Sadly it is also the most neglected subject in management circles?

I know, what am I talking about?

"Relationships" They are everywhere! As the heading of this blog clearly states, great leaders MUST build strong relationships. There is no running from this simple fact. Leadership potential is directly proportional to a persons ability to build relationships.

I am not just talking about workplace relationships. Coach John Wooden (Hall of Fame NCAA Basketball Coach) is a great example of this basic human principle. He cared more about what his players did off the court then what they did on the court. His goal? Develop great men!

He desired to see his men as great sons, brothers, neighbors, workers, citizens, and fathers. He knew if the coaching staff accomplished this a powerful by-product would be a great basketball player. More business leaders need to understand this and treat their employees in an entirely different manner. Their goal should be to help their people reach their full potential.

Horribly, many managers today are not only poor relationship builders, they are actually relationship destroyers. For more information on Coach Wooden's philosophy, go to coachwooden.com.

Next? Some workplace relationship building steps that you can start today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steven,

I have enjoyed reading your blog entries. I am in the process of writing a book on relationships, and how they are the foundation to everything. I am a person of faith, and I am convinced that everything God wants to accomplish, happens through relationships. Every good leader I am aware of, is a good leader because he/she has harnessed the ability to build and develop relationships! Great writing and great thoughts!

Boe Parrish
President
Corporate Care, Inc
www.corporatecareok.com
405.990.0107

Steven Menzel said...

Thanks Boe! I too have been compiling information to write about relationships. Specifically I am calling leaders to become "relational leaders." I hope you will continue to visit my blog and comment. I will certainly check out your website.
Steven Menzel