Friday, August 8, 2008

Improve Morale

How many times have you heard the complaint, "boy, morale sure is low"? I happen to think it is the number one problem plaguing leaders today. Unfortunately, in many organizations the source of the problem is the leader.

At the heart of poor relationships and low morale is the lack of appreciation. Over 70% of all people leaving a job claim the lack of appreciation or encouragement as a major reason.

I remember growing up in New Jersey and my dad (now a retired NJ State Trooper) was extremely good at pointing out everything I did wrong (he did not have to look long or hard) and never focusing on the things done right. This feeds the idea that he wanted me to be "perfect."

I am here to tell you, no one can live under the pressure of perfection. This is why so many young people are counting the days until they turn 18 and plan to leave home. Why do you think gangs are so successful? They encourage their members all the time. "Way to go man, great job, you stole those 10 radar detectors in one night, keep up the good work." Ladies and gentlemen, this is encouragement—unfortunately on the wrong thing: poor character.

A very powerful book on the subject of encouragement is The Carrot Principle written by Adrian Gostick and Chester Elton. We have featured this book on our Character Community Network.

I can easily write several more pages on this subject, but long entries might scare you away. I do, however, plan to write more on this subject and many others, so come back soon.

This is my first experiencing blogging, and I really look forward to your comments.

2 comments:

Senseq said...

Hi Steven, The carrot principle sounds interesting. I have tried running projects using purely positive reinforcement and leadership example setting. It was tough at times, but the outcome was a strongly bonded team and a very successful project.
Look forward to reading more about this principle, and your blog.

Steven Menzel said...

Well hello, thanks for the comment and the interest. I have much more information to share concerning strong relationships. I am glad you want to return. Be patient with me as I am a new blogger with great intentions. Now only if I get those intention typed in.
See you again!