Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Where Have All the Good Coaches Gone?


After years of sports with my two sons I have come to the conclusion that 95% of all coaches are very poor at "coaching" people.

First, I am surprised how many coaches don't know the basics of the game they are playing. An example would be basketball. It is critical that your team make a high percentage of free-throws. Why? Every close game is decided by free-throws.

Second, I am blown away by how many coaches have no clue how to treat their young and impressionable players.

Yelling in their faces "you wimp", "that's why you sit the bench" or "sit down and shut up" accomplish only one thing. It closes their heart and breeds disloyalty.

This is such a hot topic in my life right now I plan to continue this thought in the next few posts.

No comments: