Monday, November 3, 2008

Leadership 101

Well folks, I am back from my Mexico trip and thought I would share a few thoughts that I connected during my trip. I will finish the photo montage in my next post.

Here are the keys to becoming a great leader.
  1. Expect good character from yourself
  2. Fix your faults as soon as you can. We all have character failures (i.e. mistakes) and it is what we do with those failures that makes us a man or woman of integrity. You will also need a solid friend, spouse, or colleague that can share your blind spots,
  3. Learn to appreciate good character in others. Celebrating right choices is a lost art. Typically we share encouraging words after a person dies. Many eulogies are smack full of encouraging stories of a persons character. Sadly, the one needing to hear these words the most is buried under a lot of dirt. We MUST celebrate when they are alive.
  4. Return to number one on a daily basis. Sometimes this is required moment-by-moment.
These key points kept surfacing as I presented in Mexico City, Pachuca, and Guadalajara. I was compelled to share them with you.

No comments: